My aim is not to stuff students’ heads with facts.
I want to help them to ask better questions about a topic.
By the end of a unit with me, I hope that students feel like there is way more to know about the topic than they thought there was when they started. I want them to have a far better idea of:
- the main terms used in the topic
- the main ideas and concepts for the topic
- where to find out more information
- who to ask about more information
- the types of questions to ask about the topic
- why the topic is interesting and important
- how the topic relates to similar topics
- their own strengths and how to nurture them
- their own challenges and how to use them as strengths
- their own relationship to the topic and how it fits into their knowledge landscape.
Here is an introductory movie I provide to students in the first week of a unit with me: